× Members

Considering stopping Child Tax Credit to stop 2024 Migration to UC

More
2 months 1 week ago #287903 by Andrew

, there will be a new government soon(fingers crossed)

Be careful what you wish for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287905 by Gary
Hi Andrew

All legacy benefit claimants will be asked to apply for Universal Credit, initially starting with single claimants in receipt of tax credits only and then others will be affected. Check out B&W newsletter for details and dates.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA, Chris

More
2 months 1 week ago #287920 by VIA
Thank you all dear moderators and fellow members,

The reason why I thought I might as well cancel my CTC is because my only child is 17 1/2 so CTC will stop soon anywary.

And also after applying for UC I cannot face having to redo an application form for esa and pip and that when they reassess it they stop esa and pip or give me less money.
I might as well stop CTC and know that my esa and pip carries on.
And as I am on Income based esa and housing benefit, I should not be invited to UC till 2028 -29.
Also I thought that when we get UC we are assigned to the job centre and all that comes with it.
I am also worried that even though I am on esa support group they remove me from it because I believe the idea of moving us to UC is to give out less money to claimants anyway.

Thank you all.
Best wishes.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287921 by Gordon
VIA

There is so much wrong with the information that you and I suspect a lot of members have!

Let me clear the last point up first. If you transfer to UC then the DWP will add a Transitional Payment to the calculated UC payment to ensure that you do not receive less than you are receiving at the time of transfer. It is not the intention that anybody should receive less when they are moved to UC.

Your current Child Tax Credits can remain in payment until your child reaches 20 providing they are still in full-time education or in approved training, and they don't get paid for it.

If you are still receiving Tax Credits at the time of transfer to UC then the amount you receive for this will be included in the calculation of your Transitional Payment even if you would subsequently lose this payment due to their age or educational status.

Your current ESA status will be transferred to UC without reassessment. Yes, you would be assigned a Work Coach and would need to agree to a Claimant Commitment but they can't make you work while you still have an award and if you are currently in the ESA Support Group then the Commitment should be no more than agreeing to check your UC Journal on a regular basis.

Your PIP award has nothing to do with UC and will continue to its current End Date whether you apply for UC or not.

There is a lot of nonsense being published about UC, is it the best benefit available, no! Are there issues, yes! But I haven't heard anything about UC that I did not hear about ESA when it was introduced in 2008.

Please think very carefully before taking action that you may later regret

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA, Chris

More
2 months 1 week ago #287934 by Chris
Hi VIA,

I would listen to Gordon in relation to what he's advised. He really knows his stuff, and has advised thousands of claimants on this website over the years. I myself, have only been doing moderating for about 6 months now, and I've so much to learn, and I pick a lot up from Gordon, Gary, BIS and LL26 that I know of. Whatever they're advising is definitely worth listening too, in relation to the action that you're thinking about taking.

Hope it all works out well for you!

Regards, Chris.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

More
2 months 1 week ago #287971 by VIA
Thank you very much your reply.
If on ESA Support Group I am transferred to UC without reassessment
- but assigned a Work Coach
- and I will need to agree to a Claimant Commitment but they can't make me work while you still have an award
- and if I are currently in the ESA Support Group then the Commitment should be no more than agreeing to check your UC Journal on a regular basis.

Could you kindly let me know what agreeing to check my UC Journal on a regular basis will be?
Will it be online?
Will it be me the claimant who has to write on my journal and to commit to what because I am on ESA Support group and severely disabled?
I find this journal thing a bit hair-raising.

Thank you very much for your help.
Best wishes.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.