× Members

Advice when asking for a reconsideration of PIP mobility

More
6 months 4 hours ago #289577 by Lynz
Hi I'm currently receiving enhanced daily living and standard mobility I was 2 points short of getting enhanced for both. My main concern are all mentally health issues I have been diagnosed with PTSD after long term abuse as a child and then as an adult sexual and violent abuse, two years ago i had to secretly flee my home and I left with nothing other than the clothes i stood in. With the support of my friends I eventually got a flatcand by claiming various benefits and grants put a home together I'm sorry this is so long but I hope it helps you to understand why I need that enhanced rate I'm still living in secret and never go out alone but slowly my friends are encouraging me to go out now and then, Can you give me any advice as to how to go about asking for my reconsideration, I have letters from the counselling I've been having and a letter from the Freedom Project, my friend is writing this for me i find ut all too stressful. I hope you can offer some advice ..Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #289596 by Gary
Hi Lynz

You can notify the DWP of a Change of Circumstances by phone or by letter. This will trigger a new claim for PIP, and you will be sent a PIP2, which is the big form which I am sure you are familiar with. Any awards from your new claim will be back dated to when you notified DWP of a Change of Circumstances.

It would be remiss of me not to point out that the new assessment could find that you are awarded a lower award than you are currently receiving. Only you can be the judge of whether or not that is a risk worth taking. Do have a look at our PIP guides to help you make this decision; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Charlie, Lynz

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #289600 by Gordon
L

There is help for requesting an MR in the PIP section, follow the Guides link at the top of the page, scroll down to the Appeals section.

What did you score the ten points for?

Make sure you understand the criteria to score the two points you need, it is particularly complicated for the Going Out activity.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 months 2 days ago #291877 by Lynz
I was given the 10 points and the reply said :

You cannot undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress

Can you give me any advice on getting the 2 points I need ?

Appreciate you responding

More
4 months 2 days ago #291880 by Gordon
L

I'm answering solely in regard to the Going Out activity, I'll answer your question about Moving Around on your other topic.

So, you have a dilemma.

The "unable to undertake a journey" (descriptor (e)), is mutually exclusive with the two "following a route" descriptors ((d) and (f)).

This means that you cannot meet the requirements of descriptor (f) and the 12 points without fundamentally undermining the reasons that you have scored the 10 points for (e).

So, you need to think carefully before progressing this.

Can you reasonably show on the majority of days that you can leave your house but would then be unable to follow a route to a familiar place?

Gordon

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #291928 by Lynz
Hi
I find the whole thing so stressful and worry that they are asking me questions to 'catch me out'
As per my previous post I suffer badly with PTSD and anxiety and really struggle with going out everything. Physically my body is able to walk, but my mind won't let it, does that make sense. I suffer with lower back pain mist of the time and incontinence, which is why I'm unable to go for a walk etc which is why the car is a safe place for me, if I'm out and feel myself getting anxious I need to have the car near to where I'm going. I'm not sure if I need to say it like I have to you or in saying it like that penalising myself. I really struggle how to put things in tne correct way. Obviously I don't expect you to tell he 'what to say' but I would really appreciate your help with thus. I was thinking of starting off by saying I'm not disputing anything that has been said in the Daily Living section I just feel as if there has been a genuine mistake and because I ticked the box saying 20 - 50 metres but the assessor has changed it to I can stand and walk more than 200 metres and in doing so this could be why I haven't been given the extra 2 points.

For moving around

I ticked the box - how far can you walk Berween 20 and 50 metres
The assessor changed this to 200 metres or more

I said I need to have someone with me, so that I can link them when I walk, because my medication makes me dizzy and I have severe pain in my back and my legs.

I went on to say ' I always ensure that my pain medication is 'topped up' before I leave the house and that I am wearing an incontinence underwear, my family or friends try to keep me calm and try to reassure me, because I get so anxious and feel shame and embarrassment'.

11. Planning and following a route to another place.

I wrote 'since 2023 my PTSD has worsened due to the sexual assault as detailed in the notes, my friends and family always accompany me to try to keep me calm and focused.

I now need constant support if I'm going somewhere, particularly if it's unfamiliar by my friend or a family member.

I hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid