× Members

PIP Tribunal Hearing and ADHD

More
2 months 5 days ago #293176 by Mike1878
PIP Tribunal Hearing and ADHD was created by Mike1878
Hi all,

I suffer with a great amount of different issues including severe chronic migraines, severe insomnia, IBS/occasional incontinence, anxiety/depression, and I've now been diagnosed with ADHD, which I've known for quite some time I had, but getting a diagnosis took a long while.
My past posts can explain things in more detail, but now that I have my ADHD diagnosis, I am wondering if my battle to score points will be easier, and I'm looking for ways to attribute it to all the social, learning and cognitive difficulties I've always had, whereas before the diagnosis, it was really difficult to articulate how or why things were hard for me.

I seem to suffer all of the common ADHD symptoms including hyper-overthinking, being easily distracted, godawful short-term memory, bouts of anger/frustration (I have fights with gravity every single day). I can't concentrate or focus on anything for more than a few seconds, brain noise, I do everything on impulse, and planning/organisation is really exhausting, I never know what I want or how I want to do something, I run my life on mental coin flipping. I get bored constantly, I pick up new tasks with drive and excitement and leave them unfinished for months/years because of what I now know is called "ADHD burnout". I can't follow or absorb instructions, especially when given verbally. I get so embarrassed and angry with myself about asking people to repeat simple things. The list goes on and on, and until recently I didn't know why I was like this, and then I stumbled upon ADHD and did some research. It was like I was reading the blueprints to my whole life!

So my query is, can anyone help me attribute this stuff to the PIP descriptors? I find it difficult to do this, and I go into too much detail and write down 100s of unnecessary things.

I have to prepare for my hearing next week.

Thanks all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 days ago #293210 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Tribunal Hearing and ADHD
Hi Mike1878

I am glad you now have a diagnosis. I know you are going to worry about getting your evidence right for the Tribunal - but you're setting yourself up for an impossible task. The important thing to say is that you now have a diagnosis, and it explains why you have had such severe difficulties in managing your life and why you have such difficulty communicating what happens in your mind. Tell them at the start you are worried about saying too much or too little. That is enough. One of the people on the panel will be a doctor, and I would expect the disability expert to have some understanding of ADHD. Resist the urge to keep talking.

In my view (and I am not you, nor do I have ADHD, nor am I a medical expert) but I have worked with many people with the condition and I think the condition has an impact on every single question asked on the PIP form. I can't tell you how badly for each question - because that is an individual thing. The third paragraph (I seem to suffer all the ADHD symptoms...) you have written here is an apt description for others to understand the bare bones of what you go through. This is a daily fight that isn't going away, and coupled with the depression, it is a never-ending cycle of ADHD noise. Write down that paragraph and take it with you. When you're asked if there's anything you want to say, use that!

The very best of luck

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike1878, denby

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293401 by Mike1878
Replied by Mike1878 on topic PIP Tribunal Hearing and ADHD
Hi BIS,

Just to let you know, I did as you suggested with the paragraph and added it into my statement for the hearing, and they awarded me standard rate for both components. I think it is a good result and I wouldn't expect to get more with mostly mental issues. But I do think that issues like mine need to be considered more seriously in future, as my migraines are absolutely crippling and so is the insomnia. Together with the other aspects of ADHD, (like I didn't even remember to mention it makes me quite deaf), my life has been severely hindered for decades. But because most people solve these problems with pills, I feel it's just not looked at like it's a big problem at the moment.

Thanks for all your replies with advice during the last few years!

FYI, I took advice from here a good while back and contacted Kester Disability Rights for help with both my appeals, Kester was only able to help me with the PIP appeal, but I can't recommend him enough, he's been terrific and I'm MORE than happy to give him a portion of the backpay to ensure he can continue to help others in future! So this is my official endorsement.

Cheers,
Mike

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293408 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP Tribunal Hearing and ADHD
Hi Mike1878

Congratulations on your award, it is a start and you can have a little breather and re-charge your batteries for your next fight.

Gary

Tags: @RESULT @PIP @APPEAL

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike1878

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #293417 by denby
Replied by denby on topic PIP Tribunal Hearing and ADHD
Oh Mike1878, today after years of wait I got my ADHD confirmed, like you it's the blueprint of my life! What a timely post, someone up there IS helping. And thanks so much BIS for the observation about it affecting every descriptor/question. And I have recommended Kester based on a PIP expert friend's checking them out, don't know if it was one of my posts you saw but no matter. If I have to go to appeal thanks for the reminder, I'll see if he can help, as you say, the backpay split is in a good cause. D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anji

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293424 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Tribunal Hearing and ADHD
Hi Mike

Many congratulations. I'm glad that you are happy with your award. Do keep a diary from now on in, if it won't stress you too much. It doesn't have to be every day, but when you next have a review you will have lots of information you can look back on and if you want to submit a couple of pages - you have it.

In the meantime - give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back. You did well to get through it and manage your stress.

BIS

The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.