× Members

Help applying for PIP Depression & Agoraphobia

More
8 years 1 month ago #153694 by marieukxx
I have been on ESA (WRAG) for many years now. I haven't had another form to fill in or assessment in a few years now. I wanted to apply for PIP because I basicaly will not be able to live when the changes to the rate comes into effect plus I think I may be entitled to it.

I have had document depression for many many years now and have been on tablets for that for a long long time. I'm 37 now and attempted suicide ending up in hospital twice when I was in my teens. There is a long history in my family, my mum is so mentally ill they say she has the mind of a child. Our family doctor knew all this as he's known us from when I was a little girl but now he has retired and I have a new doctor I haven't plucked up the courage to go see.

Basically I have depression and anxirty, I am an alcoholic which led to severe liver problems about 1.5 years ago now. I am bulimic which I have admitted to my doctor but received no help for. I also struggled with work for 12 years eventually calling in sick all the time as I struggled with agoraphobia. My mum has it too and has done since I was a child. She would make us hide if someone knocked on the door and so on. Now I have developed it and I won't answer the door to anyone unless I know them like my sister.

I live at home and my dad does all the shopping and bill paying. I cannot go shopping myself or anywhere unless it's a pre booked planned appointment I absolutely have to go to like a dentist or doctors and then dad has to drive me there and wait and take me straight back. I get panic attacks if I attempt to go out.

Just the other day I had an appointment booked for my dogs booster which was booked for weeks and I woke up that day with a tight chest panicking. This is a vet I have gone to since I was a teenage with my hamsters!!!

If the postman comes with a parcel (I do all my stuff online) I run and hide. I won't answer.

I have had an initial read about applying for pip and the points scoring but it doesn't seem aimed at people like me. I can make a meal at home and I can wash and things. I have no idea on how to go about filling the form in. It all seems based on mobility.

Also I will soon have to fill in the form to change my mum over from DLA to PIP. I have no worries on that score as she won't eat, wash or anything. I know that will be easy to fill in for her but should I worry about this new doctor we have? He hasn't even met her and only has our old doctors notes to go on. Our old doctor had seen what she is like from the start. Also I have never met him either.

Can someone give me some advice on how to fill in the form for myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153730 by Gordon
Marie

The PIP Claim guide is the best place to look. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

PIP can be awarded for your care needs, your mobility needs or a combination of the two.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #153762 by marieukxx
Replied by marieukxx on topic Help applying for PIP Depression & Agoraphobia
Thanks I had already done that. I was hoping for further help and advice filling in the form.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153763 by marieukxx
For example: On the moving around section what would I tick? I can go about my house fine but if you asked me to put the bins out in the front of the house for collection I couldn't do it. I go out I would say a few times a year if I have to like to take my dog to the vet or for a doctors appointment. (I have missed my last 3 appointments for diabetes) My dad has to drive me straight to the door, come in and wait with me and back staright home after.

Also another question about budgeting. I cannot handle my own finances. I went bankrupt when I did. I have no clue when bills come out and about keeping money aside for them. If I have money when I get down I will just blow it on rubbish. My ESA goes into my dad's account. My bills like for my sky tv come out of my dad's account and if I need anything he just gets it for me. What would I select in that section?

I am also an alcoholic but I see nothing covering that. I had a very bad health scare where I was very ill about a year and a bit ago due to my high liver enzymes from drinking. I have periperal neuropathy which leaves me with tingling limbs and stabbing pains. It doesn't stop me doing anything around the house but it affects my sleep.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153786 by Gordon
Marie

I recommended the guide because it explains the criteria against which you are actually being assessed, goes through the DWP guidance and related matters, explains a strategy for answering the questions and gives examples for some common issues.

We can provide information on what the activities mean and related issues but we can't tell you what to put on your form. :)

The moving Around activity looks at the physical problems that you have with walking, you need to explain the distance that you can reliably walk on the majority of days. The word "reliably" is explained in the guide.

Is your father your appointee? You need to explain your problems, as you have here on the form.

PIP is not awarded because of the conditions that you have but rather the difficulties that they create with your completing each of the PIP activities, so as an example; what issues does you alcoholism cause with your preparing and cooking a meal? Are you tired or does your attention wander so that you might burn things or forget that they are on the hob? These would be reasons for you needing supervision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #153816 by marieukxx
Thanks yes I get tired and forget I am cooking stuff. I left one thing in the oven recently and it turned to like coal before dad found it. I drink from evening all night and binge purge all night. No he isn't my appointee as I can communicate on a phone and fill in forms. I am an appointee for my mother because she is so mentally ill there is no way she could fill in the forms when her benfit switched to ESA so I became her appointee then. My dad is useless at all the form filling. Plus dad is also on DLA as he is totally deaf. Mum has so many problems it's unreal and I have been told a lot can be herditary.

I am understanding the guide the more times I read it thanks. I haven't plucked up the call yet for the form. I will just have to go for it and hope for the best.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.