× Members

Agoraphobia and claiming pip

More
7 years 11 months ago #157573 by pat
Agoraphobia and claiming pip was created by pat
I am in the process of filling out the application for pip on behalf of my sister who I am an appointee for. I am happy that she will probably get at least 8 points for daily living but struggling with mobility. She is severely agoraphobic. She has never been to doctor,dentist or hospital. She has never attended any function or her father, mother and sisters funeral. Basically she doesn't leave the house. The only time she goes out is once a month when I pursauade her to go for a run in the car with me so that she has a different outlook. Does anyone know if this would mean that she can go out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #157588 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Agoraphobia and claiming pip
Hi Pat and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

It is not easy for people with mental illness to score full points in the 'going out' descriptor. However, the less often they do go out, the easier it is to make a case! The fact that your sister did not even attend the funeral of parents should be in her favour.

I suggest that you have a good look at our PIP guide and follow the advice therein.

PIP help for claimants

You might wish to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will mean that you can return and ask further questions without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously if everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 11 months ago #157995 by pat
Replied by pat on topic Agoraphobia and claiming pip
I have just been reading up on the appeals process,haven't sent form in yet but I am trying to get prepared. As I said earlier my sister is severely agoraphobic and is unable to interact with people. She has never been to the doctor and was diagnosed in 1965 with a mental health disorder. Since then has only been seen by doctor on about five occasions. Her doctor has given me a letter to support this. As there is no way that she could ever attend a tribunal would my only choice be a paper appeal or could I go and give evidence without her being present.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158066 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Agoraphobia and claiming pip

pat wrote: I have just been reading up on the appeals process,haven't sent form in yet but I am trying to get prepared. As I said earlier my sister is severely agoraphobic and is unable to interact with people. She has never been to the doctor and was diagnosed in 1965 with a mental health disorder. Since then has only been seen by doctor on about five occasions. Her doctor has given me a letter to support this. As there is no way that she could ever attend a tribunal would my only choice be a paper appeal or could I go and give evidence without her being present.

It's not impossible but it is very unlikely, you would need written permission from the Judge of the hearing to attend in your sister's place.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rh

More
7 years 11 months ago #159176 by pat
Sent the form off and keeping fingers crossed. I used the guides and think I gave more detail than I did for her Dla then she only got lower Dla care. I think I will have a fight on my hands because there is very little medical evidence as she has never been able to attend doctor or discuss her condition. The only medical evidence was in 1970 which just states mental health problems so I am hoping that the assessor will believe me as I filled in form for her as her appointee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
7 years 11 months ago #159277 by pat
Forms signed for on 19th may, today 22nd may had telephone call to book home assessment on 31st. Is that normal or quick. I was hoping for no f2f because my sister won't answer any questions. Do you know if her not answering questions will go against her.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.