× Members

Agoraphobia and claiming pip

More
7 years 10 months ago #160881 by pat
Replied by pat on topic Agoraphobia and claiming pip
Just applied for pa4 so will get an idea of how assessment went.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161536 by pat
Received the assessment report today some good and some bad, seems like my sister has been awarded 8 points for care and 4 for mobility which means standard care but the bad news is it is only for 2 years. It was so traumatic for her and the assessor acknowledges this but her reasoning is that she doesn't take medication and if she did she could get better. She is 66 was diagnosed 48 years ago and has never been able to attend doctors let alone discuss anything with them so how is she miraculously going to be able to in next year.

Can you appeal the amount of time an award is.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161539 by pat
Could you tell me if I appeal will the award be put on hold until outcome or will it be paid at the rate awarded. Also if you do a paper appeal will they let you know if you are risking losing what you have like they do in an oral appeal.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161550 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Agoraphobia and claiming pip
Pat

Yes you can appeal the award length, it is part of the Decision for PIP, however, we do not know of anybody who has done this at the time of writing.

The current award will remain in payment until a new Decision replaces it.

In principle, the court should contact the claimant in a Paper hearing that the claimant does not attend, however, the Bench Book where the requirement to do this is stipulated assumes an Oral Hearing and makes no specific statement about a Paper hearing.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #161562 by pat
Hi I just wanted to get your thoughts on the following

My sister has been given 8 points according to pa4 and I have no problem with what the assessor has written. I feel that she has given a largely accurate account of what was discussed at my sisters f2f and has accurately written any observations.

The problem I have is how those observations and information has been translated to descriptors.

She was given points with cooking a meal, washing, dressing and engaging with people 2 points for each.

I am confused about two of them
1. Preparing food scored 1c
Assessor writes
"She confirmed she can warm food up in microwave. She will use the microwave to heat what her sister makes for her ."
Is warming up food evidence that she can cook using a microwave.

The other descriptor I have a problem with is

Engaging with people

The assessor write she was observed to have difficulty expressing herself and understanding verbal communication due to anxiety. Information was relayed via her sister. She was able to answer only very minimal questions and her sister had to elaborate in all areas.

"She did not display appropriate interaction during the assessment, eye contact was very poor. She sat on the sofa throughout assessment hands by her side looking straight forward. She looked at her sister for most of the questions."

How did this translate into needs prompting to be able to engage with someone. At no point did I prompt her I had to answer for her surely that translates into at least needing social support.

I am having difficulty knowing what to do I don't want to risk the award if I am misunderstanding descriptors. My concerns are that she has very little medical evidence to back up her claim as she has never been able to attend doctor. So should I be grateful she has been awarded anything.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161581 by marieukxx
Replied by marieukxx on topic Agoraphobia and claiming pip
Medication for her agoraphobia? Is there any? My mum is on DLA and has had agoraphobia for all my life and she's not been given any medication for it. She's oficially diagnosed.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.