× Members

PIP and the start of the process

More
8 years 5 months ago #146990 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic PIP and the start of the process
Hiya

Many thanks

We had an argument over this one and I won.

It made sense when we read your reply.

We are now on q8 and going well.

Thanks
xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #146992 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and the start of the process

pusscatsmum wrote: Hiya,

We are now beginning the process of writing out the form,yuk.

Q3A)
Do you use an aid/appliance to cook a simple meal
What do I put here please
tick yes/no /sometimes.

I am unable to cook due to my health probs mobility/numbness etc so the carer/husband does all the cooking, so do I tick yes or no??.

If I tick no do I write beside it, 'I cannot cook a meal because of my disabilities?

Many thanks

The question is asking whether you can prepare and cook a meal with the use of an aid or appliance.

If you cannot do this then you should answer "no" and explain why, the PIP Claim guide has list of aids and appliances that might be considered, you don't need to make a statement about each of them it should be possible to group by disability, so for example if you have dexterity problems then all of those that need you to hold them can be answered together.

I'm afraid Foss is being a little ambitious, a person would not be considered an aid or appliance.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW

More
8 years 5 months ago #146995 by sally-jane
Hi there,

So hubby has won then!!!

I can see both points of view.

Where I was using hubby/carer as an 'aid/appliance' and therefore tick yes.

Whereas as I 'do not cook' because I am unable to stand, chop, and steady myself at the same time due to numbness on the right hand side/spinal problems and hence would not be safe in the kitchen I should tick 'no'. No aid will change this.

I am hoping my questions and subsequent answers and progress listed under my posting, will help others who may well look at these ambiguous questions in the same light and need the right answers to write on these so very easy simple PIP2 Forms!!

Many thanks

More
8 years 5 months ago #147005 by sally-jane
Good morning,

This morning at 8am we phoned the DWP to plead for another extension.
We are still awaiting a letter and still to complete the lovely form.
It has to be there by the 3rd Jan, stuck in the middle of postal closures for the Christmas/New Year so it would not wend its way to the appropriate destination in time.

The lovely Hxxxxx answered the phone and said she would have to apply to someone else in order to get an extension and we would not know for a day or so!!! Not ideal. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

More
8 years 5 months ago #147013 by sally-jane
Help please.
Question 14 c
It asks 'Do you use a wheelchair or similar device to move around safely, reliably and repeatedly and in a reasonable time period.
yes/no/sometimes.

I have to be wheeled in a rear operated wheelchair due to my upper body impairment along with my poor peripheral vision.
So do I tick box yes /no/ or sometimes ?

Cannot find an answer to this anywhere and there must be others out there that need this question answered

Many thanks

• bro58
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #147014 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP and the start of the process

pusscatsmum wrote: Help please.
Question 14 c
It asks 'Do you use a wheelchair or similar device to move around safely, reliably and repeatedly and in a reasonable time period.
yes/no/sometimes.

I have to be wheeled in a rear operated wheelchair due to my upper body impairment along with my poor peripheral vision.
So do I tick box yes /no/ or sometimes ?

Cannot find an answer to this anywhere and there must be others out there that need this question answered

Many thanks

Hi pcm,

As the PIP "Moving Around" Activity part of PIP Mobility assesses your ability to "stand then move" (walk) the requisite distances covered by the Descriptors, if you have to use a mobility scooter, electric/power wheelchair, or manual wheelchair through necessity rather than by choice for the majority of the time, and cannot walk the requisite distances "reliably" then you should receive the appropriate level of points for the highest scoring Descriptor that you fulfil under that Activity.

So, if you have to be pushed in a manual wheelchair, and cannot walk the requisite distances laid down in the Descriptors, you should state Yes you do have to use a wheelchair through necessity, explaining why, and cannot walk xxx metres aided or unaided, reliably and safely in a reasonable time scale for the majority of days, that being the case of course.

As this is a "Walking Test" any distance that you can move in any type of wheelchair should not be counted against the distances laid down in the Descriptors.

If you can Walk some distance, some of the time, you would need to explain how and why you Need to use a wheelchair for the majority of the other days.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.