× Members

"Invited" to Apply for PIP

More
8 years 3 months ago #151039 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic "Invited" to Apply for PIP

madcatwoman wrote: Thank you.
Are the dwp sympathetic towards requests for extensions. I am really annoyed and concerned that I now only have less than 3 weeks to fill in the form and get it back to them.

The wretched thing took a week to arrive, a week of useful time. I suffer with fatigue, pain and poor concentration so I can only do a bit at a time. I am hoping to dedicate some time each day but I am already panicking about not getting it completed in time. Thanks.

From the feedback we have had on the forum, the majority of requests are accepted.

A week is actually quite quick for the DWP :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: killbot99

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #151042 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic "Invited" to Apply for PIP
Good grief, I would hate to think what a slow response was. It makes you wonder if it is deliberate, to make claiming even more stressful.

More
8 years 3 months ago #151262 by killbot99
Hi

I have started to try and make sense of the form. The first question has me confused though. It asks " do you use an aid or appliance to prepare or cook a simple meal" I don't know how to answer this one because I don't cook meals.

My husband who is my carer does all the cooking. Due to pain, fatigue, cognitive problems and lack of motivation as my condition has deteriorated I no longer do any cooking or preparation. So shall I answer no to this one and obviously explain why in the further information box?

Secondly is it ok to use a highlighter pen to highlight any keywords or phrases that you feel particularly pertinent or that help explain your difficulties . My consultant mentioned in his letter that I have difficulties dressing myself and this is obviously relevant to the dressing question so would it be appropriate to highlight this or is it a bad idea?

I sometimes worry that key points can get lost in all the paperwork we have to supply. Thank you.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151280 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic "Invited" to Apply for PIP
MCW

It's important to understand that they are looking at what you cannot do, not what you do not do, so the fact that your husband cooks is not relevant unless the reason that he does is that you are unable to.

So you need to explain why you cannot prepare and cook a simple meal, what stops you doing it? What issues would you have if you did? To what degree are you affected and how often?

The issue of aids is whether you would be able to prepare a meal if you were to use these, for example if you cannot hold vegetables to peel them, would a device that holds the vegetable for you mean that you could peel them?

This is explained in far more detail in the PIP Claim guide than I can do in the forum, I would suggest that you read the whole section before you start answering any of the questions so that you have a full understanding of what you are being asked about.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: killbot99, Rh

More
8 years 2 months ago #151294 by killbot99
Thank you Gordon,

I just wondered what you thought about my query regarding highlighting particular points or phrases if you feel they are relevant to the descriptors, ie in my case the difficulties I have getting dressed in my own which my consultant's letter has mentioned.

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151296 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic "Invited" to Apply for PIP

madcatwoman wrote: Thank you Gordon,

I just wondered what you thought about my query regarding highlighting particular points or phrases if you feel they are relevant to the descriptors, ie in my case the difficulties I have getting dressed in my own which my consultant's letter has mentioned.

Hi mcw,

With respect to "highlighting" !

What you need to consider is that they will scan/copy your form and added documents onto your file, so will the highlighter show up when they do so !! ?

I tend to underline any important extracts with a black pen and ruler !

Another thing that I do is to photocopy documents/reports/letter of support, (keep originals) then number the pages of the documents 1 of xx, 2 of xx, 3 of xx, etc.etc, then I also number the paragraphs in the documents, etc to the left side of the paras in ascending order with a pen.

On the photocopies of course and not the originals which should be kept in tact.

It then makes it easy to refer to certain extracts in the documents, e.g. "see line xx of para xx on page xx of xx !!

You can create and Index to contents and place that at the front !!

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.