× Members

DWP Unfair decision - sudden closure of ESA - change of address

More
8 years 1 month ago #155049 by zoewawa
Hello, I am a new member :)

I have been on ESA in support group due to mental illness. I am currently under a intense treatment provided by Mental Health NHS trust.

DWP has closed my ESA without any communication or warming beforehand. I called Jobcentreplus this morning. They said my ESA was suspended since the end of January because I didn't tell them my change of address. And they closed my ESA because I have not contacted them since my ESA was stopped.

On the phone, I explained that I did post a letter to Jobcentreplus in September last year when I moved, and that I kept a proof of postage. I asked how to appeal the decision but the person first said I would not be able to appeal because my ESA was closed. When I didn't believe her and pushed further, she then say I could appeal but it would be more difficult and would take a long time. She kept persuading me to open a new claim and said that I would not need to go through a medical again.

I feel that she tried to trick me into making a new claim. in addition, I do not think DWP's decision is fair. My instinct tells me that I should appeal. However, after a whole day of searching the proof of postage in vain, I realised I am probably doomed.

I am aware that it would be difficult for me to prove it if the proof of postage cannot be found. However, it would not make sense for them to presume that I deliberately avoided informing Jobcenterplus of my move:

1: I have informed all the authorities of my change of address including HMRC, my previous Council and my current Council authority. (I have written letters/email from all of them that acknowledged my report of new address in September last year.) It’s a well-known fact that HMRC, DWP and local authorities share benefit claimers’ information. It would not be logical at all for me to hide my change of address from DWP, and yet inform all other authorities.

2: My change of address should not have affected my benefit as my circumstances have not changed. I have not been married or moved in with a partner. I have given my curent Council all the details asked for, and the council has awarded me full housing benefit. Again, this demonstrates that I have no reason not to inform DWP of my change of address.

I didn’t know my ESA was stopped due to my mental health condition and an overpayment from my previous council. I am not always my lucid self because of my condition, and I have not been always dealing with my finances and daily life well. In addition, a £1500 overpayment by my previous council confused me to the fact that my account should have no money after my ESA was stopped 6 weeks ago ( I have an email from my previous council that acknowledged I told them my move in september 2015; the overpayment was their own mistake.)

I feel so stupid that I neglected my bank account for so long and it results in such mess. The stopping of my benefit and this situation has left me under enormous stress and anxieties. If not because of the £1500 over payment, I would have no money to live by now. Furthermore, I will not be able to payback the overpayment, if my ESA is not reinstated and backdated.

I don't know what to do now. I am wondering if I should appeal. Will I have a good chance if I use above (1)and (2)reasons to support my appeal?

I will be more than grateful if you could give me some advice.

Thank you so very much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155063 by Gordon
Zoe

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Sorry to hear that you have got into this situation.

If I was you I would make an appeal and a new claim and let the DWP sort it out if you end up with "two" claims.

Why make a new claim? An appeal will take some time even if it is successful (see below) and you may not be eligible for payments while you wait for a hearing. If a new claim is made within 12 weeks of the previous claim being closed then the DWP may consider that the two link and you will not need to meet the eligibility criteria again, this would be important if any of your ESA was Contribution Based as we are now in a new Benefit Year and different Tax Years will be used.

The downside is that there will still be a hole in your claim which will mean that any over payment of Council Tax, etc. will still be recoverable.

Why Appeal? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, most importantly, if successful it will fill the hole in your claim and should remove the over payment! As this is a technical failure it will be an Administrative appeal which should be heard much faster.

You must first request a Mandatory Reconsideration from the DWP, you will need to explain why the request is late as you are outside of the normal one month to request an MR, I would emphasise that you have only just found out that your benefit has stopped and why.

There are template letters in the ESA section that you can use to make the request and the ESA Appeal guide will give you some understanding of the process although there will be differences as it is not an entitlement appeal.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

It is possible that the DWP will reject your request for an MR as it is outside of the one month, I don't think that this is likely but it can happen, if it does then you cannot take the matter further.

If the MR is unsuccessful (not rejected) then you can go onto appeal. In both cases you need to show that you made all reasonable attempts to notify the DWP of the change of address.

In both cases time is of the essence as the longer you leave it the less your options are.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoewawa

More
8 years 1 month ago #155078 by zoewawa
Gorden,

Thank you very much for your thorough reply. I am very grateful for your help.I will follow your advice and send a letter to DWP request for MR tomorrow and update you the outcome.

Zoe :) <3

More
7 years 11 months ago #159600 by zoewawa
Hi there,

I have a sad update here.

After my last post here, I checked DWP’s handbooks and found that my ESA was closed unlawfully (the proper procedures were not followed – there was no notification sent either to my old or new address beforehand.) Furthermore, I was wrongfully refused the right to challenge the decision when I questioned the closure of my ESA (I was told that there was nothing I could do about it as it’s closed and that I had to make a new claim.)

As I realized that they didn’t follow the protocol before closing my ESA, I wrote to Jobcenter asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration (the letter was confirmed as received by postal tracking on 31/03/16.) Since then I have had more than 11 phone conversations with Jobcenter but I am repeatedly fobbed off by different people with the same excuses (firstly, “ we have not received the letters”, “we don’t know what happened to the letters”, then, “we don’t know why the decision makers have not dealt with your letters” etc.) After some persistent calling, someone at my local Jobcenter eventually gave me a time scale and promised that my case would be looked at and I would have an answer from them within 10 working days. That was 16 working days ago. Nothing has been done since.

I called again and got a callback from the same lady at my local Jobcenter yesterday. She said that there is a backlog at the department that makes the decisions. This time she refused to even give me the expected waiting time.

It has been almost 2 months since my request for a Mandatory Reconsideration was received by Jobcenter. I don’t know why I should believe their excuses for the reasons why my case has not been dealt with.

As far as I know, I have the right to ask for a time scale, and Jobcenter has to give me a written explanation as to why my case has been delayed for so long, if I request it. Am I right about this?

I am also wondering if there is anything I can do if Jobcenter just keep ignoring me.

I am in a distraught state in terms of financial hardship, stress and mental health issues facing this situation. I would be more than grateful if you could give me some guidance.

Thank you very much.
Zoe

More
7 years 11 months ago #159614 by zoewawa
Sorry, I have a few more questions. I hope I have not made too many posts and ask too many questions in such shot period of time.

According to DWP's guideline
(www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...ermination-guide.pdf)

"Notifications must be sent to customers to inform them of decisions to:
• suspend payment
• terminate entitlement to benefit or stay a decision
if you have been unable to contact the customer, the notification must be
sent to the last known address."

I did not receive any notification before or after my ESA was suspended. I only received a letter AFTER my ESA was closed. Is it unlawful that my ESA was closed without correct procedures? Is it unlawful that DWP ignored my hardship and mental health conditions and refused to re-open my ESA?

I am also wondering why they would not give me their explanations in writing as to why they close my ESA (I requested a written explantion on 02/04/16 but have not got any reply since). I feel that they have tried to pressurise me into making a new claim. And if I make a new claim, it will be easier for them not to deal with my appeal against their wrongful closure of my ESA.

I have decided to appeal. What do I do next? (I made it clear on the phone this morning that I wanted to appeal against the decision, but the Jobcenter staff did not want to discuss it with me.)

Can I apply for a hardship payment? If I make a new claim, how long will it take before I start receving payments? will I have to go through the medical again? If so, does it mean it's possible that I will be agin placed in the wrong group and have to go through appeal all over again (In the past, I was placed in the wrong group every single time. Although it was always corrected afterward and it reinstated me in the support group but I had to appeal/ask reconsideration EVERY single time.)

I apologise for asking so many questions in one go. I am in a desparate situation. I would be more than grateful if you could kindly give me some advice.

Thank you so much!

Zoe

More
7 years 11 months ago #159629 by zoewawa
Hi,

My last post might seem confusing because a message I posted shortly before that one didn't appear on the board. I don't know why.

In short, I got a call from Jobcenter this morning. The decision maker decided not to re-open my ESA.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.