× Members

DWP Unfair decision - sudden closure of ESA - change of address

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #159630 by Gordon
Zoe

All posts are moderated before they appear in the forum and the Moderators are only online at certain times of the day! I've deleted two duplicates.

Whether the Decision is legal or not, you would need to show that the DWP had not produced and sent the required letters to your former address, is somewhat moot as the procedures for challenging the situation are the same.

Trying to deal with the immediate issues;

Is there any reason that you have not made a new claim for ESA since you last posted?

You are currently not entitled to Hardship Payments from the DWP as you have no active claim, although you may be able to get help from your Local Authority.

Have you actually received an MR Notice from the DWP? If you haven't then you cannot appeal until you do.

See our ESA Appeal guide in regard to your making an appeal, it has links to the SSCS1 form that you will need to complete and instructions on how to complete it. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

A new claim for ESA should go into payment at the assessment rate in about two weeks, as it would be a new claim, you will have to complete a new ESA50 and likely have to attend a face to face assessment.

You should issue a Subject Access Request for the "suspension" letter and the Decision Letter closing your claim, in particular you should request a copy of the letters, the dates they were printed and the dates that they were sent to you.

SAR :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/request-for-personal-information.rtf

From this page :

www.dwp.gov.uk/privacy-policy/data-protection/

Given your situation I would involve your MP

Contacting your MP

I would also recommend that you get face to face advice if you can, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county, there are limits to the advice we can practically give on the forum.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoewawa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #159707 by zoewawa
Thank you so much for your prompt reply, Gordon! You are a star!!

You asked why I did not make a new claim. Because I knew if I made a new claim, they would simply ignore my appeal and refuse to backdate the hole in my claim. I thought that I had a straightforward case: DWP’s decision to close my claim was unreasonable and unlawful. Little did I know how corrupt they are. They ignored and dismiss my case all the way anyway.

My fear is that: once I make a new claim, they would say I do not have a case to “re-open” my ESA, if my new claim is deemed as linked to the old one. I cannot afford not to ask DWP to backdate the payments. My previous council has threaten to take me to court if I don’t repay the overpayment I owe them (although they have admitted by witting that it was their own mistake for making the overpayment.)

The Jobcenter’s tactics so far is to leave me under financial strain and mental stress as long, and as much as possible so that I will eventually give up. It’s particularly strange that they have not provided any written explanations I asked for, especially, the “suspension letter”.

I did make a Subject Access Request on 31/03/16, but nothing has sent to me so far.

I have sent a letter to my MP. And the metal health team that has been looking after me has told me they would arrange an advocate to help me with the case.

I am also writing to chase the MR notice letter so that I can lodge the appeal as soon as possible (it’s rather odd when I said I wanted to appeal, the lady call me to tell me the decision just kept avoiding the discussion and kept saying someone else would call me later that day. No one called me since.)

Thank you again, Godorn. I really appreciate your help. Your kindness and selfless service providing guidance and advice for the sick and vulnerable is invaluable. :) <3

I hope by showing my case in details here will also somehow help others when they face the similar situation. I searched here and other websites before and it seems there have been many cases similar to mine in the past and most people did not challenge the closure of their benefits simply because they didn’t know they could.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #159729 by zoewawa
Hi,

I have one more question regarding ESA payment during appeal. I understand that one will be paid the assessment rate once an appeal has been lodged. Does this also apply to my case as well if I don't make a new claim?

Thank you again for your help.
Zoe

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #159748 by zoewawa
Hi,

I have a question about making a new claim. Can I ask it to be backdated to the day my ESA was suspended, or the day my ESA was closed if I make a new claim now? As i have been under care by the same mental heath team all this time and my circumstance has not changed, can I use this reason to request it to be backdated?

Thank you.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #159783 by Gordon
Zoe

Trying to answer some of your questions albeit not in the same order.

You should be able to backdate a new ESA for up to 3 months providing you have a Fit Note to cover this, this should get you back to the beginning of March.

Providing that an appeal is accepted then you should be entitled to the ESA Assessment rate while you appeal, this is the same rate as you would receive with a new claim, but should be backdated to when the Decision to close your claim was made as you have received no other benefit in the interim. The big however will be how the DWP treat an appeal in this situation, I can't see any reason why the Assessment rate would not be payable, but yours is not a situation that we have seen before.

In regard your earlier post, I think you have talked yourself out of making a new claim earlier, whilst I can understand your concerns, you have a right of appeal against the Decision that stopped your original claim, the DWP cannot simply remove that because you have started a new claim!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoewawa

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #159977 by zoewawa
Gordon,

Thank you so much again for your generous help. I have been in so much panic that I have not been able to think clear. And the more distressed I am the more I am confined to my flat, unable to go out and seek help. If not for your guidance, I would have been in pieces.

I am sorry if I am repeating the same question, but I am still confused and need more of your guidance regarding the 12 weeks linking rule.

You mentioned before that "if a new claim is made within 12 weeks of the previous claim being closed then the DWP may consider that the two link and you will not need to meet the eligibility criteria again."

I recall: a JC+ agent also mention that if I make a new claim within 12 weeks of the old one being closed, I do not have to go through the medical again. I have also read it somewhere else on the internet that people who were in the Support Group would be paid Support Group's rate from day one of the new claim. Is it true - if my claim is deemed as linked to the old one, then I will be placed in the same support group straight away without a medical?

If it's true, I am wondering if they are gonna pay me the support group rate or the assessment rate if I appeal and make a new claim at the same time?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.